30 March 2010

Handmade Market all wrapped up for the quarter & another success!!

Greetings all,
I can & do & will continue to go on & on about the success of the Handmade Market in Canberra.  It's just quarterly, it's only 6 markets old yet continues to blow stall holders, customers, media & the most discerning "isn't handmade craft still daggy" kind of doubters away with crowds, sales, atmosphere & the love of all things handmade.  In a city vineyard location, beautiful weather & enthusiastic shoppers, it was for me, the best single market day ever!!  What a boost to my family's bottom line, you can have new shoes children!! 
I will be forever grateful that people like Julie Nichols exist.  When Julie turned her PR, marketing & creative genius to founding this Handmade Market in November 2008, it became a phenonenom - the last 4 markets had crowds of over 10 000 people!!  
 
My stall neighbours under the trees - scuptures & water features (this one sold at $5.5K) & wood turning display.  Who knew a combination of patchwork, woodwork & water features would work so well??  Um, Julie!!

This gorgeous white painted bird feeder came home with me along with a 9' post to perch it on & everyone thought the bird houses (on posts, looking divine) were part of my display or merchandising, he he!!  Well now they can be.  I imagine gazing at this while i'm at the clothes line, pretending i'm in the Hamptons, NOT Canberra!! 
My patchwork quilt stand worked a treat, recycled poles from broken clothes racks, $11 on wood (included cutting) & a new $15 drill bit, voila, quilt stand!!  Sold 4 quilts too, including the one from Cosmo Magazine, yahoo!!  This craft cupboard display was so easy to set up in no time.  Washi tapes were very popular too!!

Thank you & good bye Market Girl, see on Saturday 5th June, another Winter Warmer, non??
It was so exciting to meet lots of bloggers too, Liz from Lino Forest - we both had ace Betty Jo lino creations on, loved Liz's energy & vibe, up from Melbourne with her Mum; then lovely Lisa from The Red Thread - with a super nice friend, checking out the market, down from Sydney.  Plus a blogger friend via the phone, how cute is Sheridan from ChaletGirl - sent a friend to buy something, anything from me.  Also Sue, the clever brains behind HeadsUp @Calvary Hospital (head dresses for chemo gals)!!  Got to love this blogging world!! Really appreciate you coming along to say hello, you all must come & join in the Handmade mania too!!   Lots of other nice crafty bloggers had stalls at Handmade too (love you Corrie from Retro Mummy & Katia from Plushka) - great to see you here.
If you're not up for a market in Canberra, consider
Shop Handmade, puttnig your handmade stock in a beautiful retail space in the heart of Canberra's shopping district 'City Walk Civic'.
I think my new merchandising & French theme did the trick, lots of new things for my devoted regular customers to enjoy, fresh new badges, fabrics & purses were very popular!!  Just having new products made me feel fresh & exciting.  My $10 sale basket went nuts too!!  Love Posie

22 comments:

Little Messy Missy said...

Wow! I sure wish I lived close! Great stuff!

bee said...

Congrats on such a successful day! You work so hard for it, I'm so glad you did really well. Looks like a really fab market too... just looking at your pics makes me wanna take a trip up to Canberra to check it out! Well done :)

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

I am so gald it went well for you.

Kate said...

So pleased to hear the market was successful for you and the Canberrans. It sure is wonderful when all those nights spent slugging it out at the machine actually pay off. Yay!!

Liz said...

Congratulations on a great market. It makes all the hard work and frustrations vanish doesnt' it? Not surprised though, your stall looks fabulous, well done!!!
lizzie
xxx

Liz said...

Congratulations on a great market. It makes all the hard work and frustrations vanish doesnt' it? Not surprised though, your stall looks fabulous, well done!!!
lizzie
xxx

mel @ loved handmade said...

Glad to hear it went so well for you, what a set up!!

Corrie said...

oh it was amazing! I still can't get over the crowds! huger than huge!

Corrie:)

Michelle said...

Glad you had a great market. Love that bird feeder!!

Irene MissyMinzy said...

Looks like you had a great time at the market, Posie! Well done! XOX

Unknown said...

Wow , congratulations all your hard work paid off !

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

Congratulations, It warms my heart greatly to hear such lovely success stories. Onwards and upwards!

Lark said...

What a beautiful market, well done you! x

Betty Jo said...

My camera loves it's new Red Riding Hood pouch.
It was certainly a delightful market.
Yay for Canbera!!!

Kylie said...

So pleased it went well for you Posie :)) It looks fantastic. Kx

Market Girl said...

Hello lovely Posie thanks for the lovely post. Glad you had a fabulous day. it just wouldn't be handmade without you!
x

Kylie said...

Sounds like a fab weekend for you once again - Handmade is the best:) Still have said beanie here:) Sorry - thought that I would add a few extras to it and you can drop them for me to the Hospital for the cancer ladies:) (if that is ok)

Love Kylie

moose and bird said...

Wow, it sounds like you had an amazing market day. Wish I lived closer so I could pop in for a visit. Have a lovely week. Melinda xo
P.S. Have you visited jackobindi for fabric covered button supplies???

Little Angel Little Devil said...

Hi beautiful, everything you touch turns to gold!! love love

Stacey said...

Oh the bird house! The bird house! It is just gorgeous. Divine. You know, it would look lovely in my backyard. I'm sure my cat would agree!!

Kate said...

It does look fantastic!! That is a huge crowd!

Anonymous said...

Jennie! I have just received the most delightful badge from you via my friend Kelli! Thank you so much! It prompted me to catch up on your blog posts....and you have been so busy! Congratulations on your market success and your involvement with the new store. It looks amazing and I will be sure to visit when we come to Canberra next.

Thanks again! I love my little badge!